Hot Spots in Five Points
If you’re looking for a neighborhood with delicious food, a fantastic atmosphere, and great local shops (all within walking distance to campus), Five Points is the place for you! Located at the intersection of South Milledge Avenue and South Lumpkin Street, this 1920s neighborhood is home to many Athens hotspots that are must-sees while in the Classic City. Don’t believe us? Keep reading to learn more about some of our favorite stops in Five Points!
- Independent Baking Co. – This small, local bakery is home to tasty, hearth-baked loaves of bread and delicious pastries. The bakers here recognize the importance of quality ingredients and taking ample time to bake, which are two essential things that set their bread apart from all the rest. Enjoy a coffee, fresh pastry, or grab a loaf for later at this amazing local shop in Five Points!
- The Café on Lumpkin – Located in a 1920’s home, this new restaurant is a great place to enjoy breakfast, tea, coffee, pastries, and other light cuisines. If you visit in the afternoon, you can enjoy a traditional afternoon tea service with a complete three-tiered fare with friends or family.
- ADD Drug Store – If you want to feel like you are traveling back in time, stop by ADD Drug and sit at the lunch counter. Here, you can enjoy hotdogs, burgers, pimento cheese sandwiches, and the best milkshakes in town! This quaint store has not only the diner, but also a gift shop with lots of trinkets and Athens-based things and a pharmacy.
- The Local 706 – This restaurant is new in town and focuses on casual dining with friends and family. Come watch the big game, enjoy a beer, cure a hangover, and indulge in savory foods here any day of the week. Go for lunch or dinner and try any of their burgers, wings, flatbreads, or sandwiches. Everything is delicious, and all are welcome!
- El Barrio – If you want to sit outside and enjoy your meal in the fresh air, try El Barrio! They have fantastic outdoor seating on their front lawn, patio, and in their margarita garden. Try some chips and queso and sip on a margarita at this awesome Mexican-style restaurant in Five Points! Limited indoor seating is also available.
- Marker 7 Coastal Grill – If you love seafood, you need to go to Marker 7! Located in a large historic Athens home, this restaurant has an oversized covered patio and an indoor seating area perfect for a nice dinner in the Classic City. Enjoy fresh, seasonal fish and a cocktail here next time you are in town!
- The Pine Bar – This spot is perfect for wine and appetizers with friends! You can choose to sit inside or on the patio and try their tapas, wood-fire oysters, and charcuterie boards. The atmosphere is fun and lively!
- Five & Ten – This upscale restaurant on South Milledge Avenue is a fantastic option for a nice dinner out. The chef and owner, Hugh Acheson, has won many prestigious cooking awards and focuses on his restaurant being “a place to revel in great food and drink.” Enjoy a date night or fancy dinner here and be amazed by the gourmet menu and cocktails!
- Donna Chang’s – If you’re hungry, indulge at this upscale Chinese restaurant in Five Points! The menu is family-style, so it’s best to come with a group so you can all share the large portions. The Crab Ragoon and General Tso’s Chicken are our personal favorites!
- The Royal Peasant – Feel as if you are taking a step into London at this old English pub. You can sit at the bar, inside, or on the patio. There is a variety of food, so you can choose to munch on appetizers and enjoy a pint with friends, or indulge in a large plate fit for a royal. The Royale with Cheese Burger is one of the best burgers in town!
- Condor Chocolates – Have a sweet tooth? You HAVE to try the infamous Condor Chocolates! You can get bean-to-bar chocolate bars, truffles, brownies, sipping chocolate, hot cocoa, coffee (iced and hot), gelato, and other sweet treats! This is a popular spot for college students to study and for locals to get a sweet pick-me-up during their day!
- Avid Bookshop – If you love to read, you need to check out and support this awesome independent, community-focused bookstore for all your book needs. This small business considers itself a safe space and stands up for human rights, equality, and the freedom to read. It is a great place to find your next favorite book!
- Masada Leather and Gifts – If you’re in need of a belt, wallet, bag, or sandals, check out Masada Leather and Outdoors! You can get your leather products customized for you and your needs. It is a great place for gifts and quality leather goods.
- Appointments at Five – This 1900s house was turned into a specialty shop by two locals, Kitty Culpepper and Jenny Sligh, in 1987. This quaint shop specializes in English and French antiques, decorations, bridal registry items, and a plethora of gifts. If you need decor for your home or gifts for friends and family, this is the place for you!
- Amelia’s Apparel – Do you love to shop? This is the perfect place for you! Amelia’s Apparel has a large selection of shoes, jewelry, clothes, and accessories that always keep up with the trends!
Brews and Bars
- Five Points Bottle Shop – This shop has been a staple in the Athens community for over 30 years! It houses a large variety of beer, wine, and liquor, along with rare finds and local brews. A fun thing that 5 Points Bottle Shop does is give new 21-year-olds a free Crybaby t-shirt with a birthday purchase. These shirts are iconic around town! If you want to try new alcohol, come here and get some recommendations from the great staff.
- 5 Point Growlers – If you are a beer fan, 5 Point Growlers is where you need to be! Here, you can purchase craft, import, and seasonal draft beer in half-gallon and gallon-sized growlers. There are 45 different taps, so no matter your preference, you can always find a beer you like!
- The Root – This neighborhood bar is a great place for locals to get a bite to eat and enjoy a handcrafted seasonal cocktail, craft beer, or whiskey drink after a long day at work. If you think you can’t find it at first, don’t worry! It is located in the basement of the Pine, so all you have to do is walk around back and find the entrance there. It is an excellent pub of sorts where you can kick back and relax with friends.
Five Points is just one of the many great neighborhoods in Athens! While there is so much to do and the community is incredible, many other areas are also wonderful. If you’re interested in living in Athens, check out our website to explore our listings. We can assist you in finding the perfect area for you and your needs. Contact our office to get in touch with one of our expert agents so we can help you find your next home here in Athens.